Saturday 26 June 2010

ARB History Lesson


A Little History Lesson......

For those of you that haven't heard of me or ARB I thought I would provide some background on myself and ARB. Animal Rights Book (ARB) began in the beginning of 2009. I (dev) was an active part of the animal rights facebook community and involved in an online campaign against hunters posting pictures and videos of their mindless slaughter on facebook. In one of the many heated debates with the facebook hunting community they commented that if I wasn't happy with the way facebook operated I should start my own social network, so ARB was born :)
Thanks to the online AR community ARB was a great success and welcomed with open arms. It grew from one member (little old me) to nearly 200 in the space of 2 weeks. it was growing so fast & was so active that I had to appoint another couple of admins, thats when Carolyn Bailey & Catherine Dickinson came to my rescue. I was constantly looking for ways to keep ARB active as well as get ARB out there. One of the ideas I came up with was to hold guest chats where prominent members of the AR community joined us in the ARB chat room and took questions from ARB members. The guest chats became a popular success and after the first 4 guest chats ARB membership had tripled with members returning on a daily basis to the network. Guests on ARB included some of the most admired and respected people within the animal rights movement such as Steve Best, Will Tuttle, Anthony Marr, Keith Mann, Camille Marino & Shaun Monson. Have a look at the video below for a insight about what ARB and me are about.



The free servers Ning which hosted ARB announced they were preparing to stop the free service and ever since I have been wondering where to take ARB. I set up ARB on another free server (Spruz) but to be honest I was more interested in taking ARB in a different direction and had been for a while. After much thought I decided the blog route was a good way to go, I could continue the interviews I started with PETA's Ingrid Newkirk as well as share my direct opinion and experiences. So here we are, the all new ARB blog.

There are a number of people I would like to thank for their support with ARB, most of all Alistair Cornell, Lisa Wright, Chis Alfvegan, Catherine Dickinson, Lisaliberationnow, Kelly Carson, Herdis Daugbjerg, Vegan Student, Camille Marino, Stacey Rakic, Carolyn Bailey, Jason Miller, Cherokee Rayne, Granny Bear, Steve Best, Keith Mann, Alice Mann, Adele Grant, Lisa Rees, Anthony Marr, Gina Maltese, Judith Jaehn, Kerri Milam, Kyle Dowler, Shaz, wee irish Sarah ;), Claire and Marie Amiel and so many more. If I haven't mentioned you please dont take offense its just old age creeping in ;)

Anyway I hope you all find the new ARB blog interesting and useful.

3 comments:

  1. good luck with this dev!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, but you forgot Cani!

    If you still have his email address, could you send him over our way, please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know something I couldn't remember his name lol, I was going to include him but my mind went blank! Sorry I don't have his details but he was an interesting member :)

    ReplyDelete